Friday, March 22, 2013

S3PP: Medieval Pork Pie - - Hello my darling....

S3PP - Season 3 Premiere Party
Huminah huminah huminah... brother speak for mmm yummy.

This idea is just... amazing.   I mean, really, you're combining two of the most incredible things ever - meat and pie.  Naturally this is a win all around.  Of course I need to take a moment and apologize to our non-meat eating buddies... this recipe isn't for you.  In fact, I would probably have to say that back in medieval times I wouldn't imagine that the vegetarian would be widely accepted by society.  Though we're in a much more tolerable time now, Robert Baratheon would look at a vegetarian much in the same way he would probably look at Lady GaGa.

That being said -

Meat eaters and pie lovers rejoice!  From the magical minds of the women behind Innatthecrossroads.com, we find some amazing recipes for the Pork Pie.  There are two of them posted on their website, here:

http://www.innatthecrossroads.com/2011/04/13/pork-pie/


While the other ones that I will be using come from their book, A Feast of Ice and Fire.  If you have not picked this book up yet, you need to!  It is worth the trip to your favorite book store - or you can be lazy and order it on Amazon in your underwear... either way..

The plan for this adventure will be pretty simple.  I thought I would just buy the crust from the store but to be honest, pie crust is super easy to make and there is a fabulous recipe for it in the beginning of A Feast of Ice and Fire that I will be using.  The recipe itself calls for saffron - this is one of the most, if not the most expensive spice in the world - whew - but I have a trick for you.  There might not be time to snag this before the premier party but possibly might be worth while to keep checking back for the finale. 

MySpiceSage.com offers a wide variety of spices for a very good price.  I don’t buy any of my seasoning at the store anymore, I just go here and they have everything - everything - everything!  I could ever possibly need.  Another thing I love about them is that they offer a freebie - a giveaway if you spend more then ... 25$ I think.  It's easier to do than you might think....  More than a few times last year, their freebie was a gram of saffron for FREE.  Yes.  This is a good price.  I don’t normally cook with saffron but if I need it, I don't want to pay for it.  Free is in my budget.  We love free.  Because of this, I just happen to have some saffron lying around the house that needs a good use. 

It's going to be a challenge to make these - I haven't quite figured out how I am going to swing it.  What I will probably end up doing it making the filling and the dough the Saturday before hand (holy crap, that's in a week!!) then put them together and bake them before I bake the chicken of the wall.  Once the chicken comes out of the oven and is cooling, I will probably put the pies back in to warm them up a bit.  I thought about making them on Saturday and just keeping them in the fridge to serve cold... might not be a bad idea since I am also serving hot Flea Bottom Bowl of Brown next to them. 

My guests are going to be stuffed...

2 comments:

  1. The yumness is mind blowing!! Good luck and have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Raquel! It's going to be an epic evening but still so much to do!

    ReplyDelete