Friday, March 1, 2013

Let the mayhem begin!!!

Season 3 Premier Party
The Introduction to the Madness




It's a little ridiculous how much I love the Game of Thrones.  From the entire book series to the series on HBO to the food... the amazing and creative food... I've turned myself into a GoT Junkie.  It could be worse, I could be a real junkie... we'll just stick to the series here.

For all of you who don't know, Game of Thrones is a series of books written by George R.R Martin.  He's a cool guy who loves the medieval times and collects knights in real life.  It's a story of several families plotting for power in a land called Westeros.  I would be happy to go into it more but explaining the series to a GoT virgin is like explaining the theory of relativity to a monkey... best thing I could suggest is to pick up the first book and give it a read.  Just a warning though, don't get attached to anyone.

For all of you fellow enthusiasts, you know that the series is coming back into our lives on March 31st, 2013.  This will be season 3 for the cast of the show on HBO and from what I understand, it is the most anticipated season so far...  So much will be happening... so... much... AWESOMENESS.... I'm not going to oogle about it though because knowing me, I'll shower you all with spoilers and piss a bunch of people off.  Needless to say, I've read all the books.  I know what's coming.  Nuff said.

Last year my boyfriend and I held a low-key party at our dinky little duplex with 2 other couples and my son who will hence fourth be referred to as the squishy.  We made honeyed chicken, black bread, Dornish stuffed peppers and some delicious lemon cakes... oh and that 3 fish and mussel stew that was just.to.die.for...  All we did last year was have food, play games and watch the show when it returned to us.  This year....

Well....

Lets just say I've been planning this thing since November.  At least, that's when I created the Facebook event...  Sure, people thought I was nuts.  They probably still do but this years party will be the best yet and if I keep raising the bar at this rate, I'm going to have to sell my truck next year to buy the throne.  ...  ... ok, I'm not that crazy but the thought did cross my mind even if for just a second..

This blog is about the party.  The Game of Thrones Premiere Party is almost like a holiday in our house - better than Christmas... This is an event that is coveted and is looked forward to by most in our inner circle all year long.  I've made a commitment, I will not disappoint.  I've gathered all of my ideas, along with a few other gems I've found on the internet to make this year amazing. 

No party is complete without the food so lets start there.  Last year I got all of my recipes from the two amazing women who made innatthecrossroads.com.  This is a blog that has turned into my bible... I read it frequently and am constantly pulling ideas from the melded minds of these two plus our favorite author who bring GoT food to life.  This year, it's no different only I have a few other tricks up my sleeve as well.

Their cookbook.  Yeah, it exists.  Along with another gem called "The Unofficial Game of Thrones Cookbook" which I also covet.  Santa was good to me this year... and since I am no stranger to the kitchen and I can wield a spatula like Brienne wields a sword I was ambitious enough to try a few more of their daring recipes. 

Here is an outline of the menu:

Appetizers: 
Cheese (3 different kinds...)
Bread and Salt
Scottish Eggs
Wine
Cubed Salami

Starters:
Flea Bottom Bowl of Brown
"Castle Black Bread of Ale" which is just bread made with Guinness and molasses....
Pork Pie
Old Town Mustard

Main Course:
Hen of the Wall (Including an absolutely amazing stuffing...)
Roasted leeks, carrots, mushrooms and onions
"Red Keep White beans and Bacon" - a slight variation of the recipe you can find at innatthecrossroads

Dessert:
Black cherries and sweet cream
Roman Sweets which I have aptly renamed "Pentoshi Stuffed Dates"

Drinks:
Wassail - we're calling this Wildling Cider
Pyromancers Wildfire (Found in the unofficial GoT cookbook!)
Iced milk with honey
Mulled Wine
Mead
the new GoT Beer (released March 31st!)

Most all of these recipes can be found either at Innatthecrossroads.com or in their amazing cookbook which you can buy at Amazon.  Gotta give lots of shout-outs to these ladies, they have created a MONSTER!

I'll go into more about the food as I can but this post is getting pretty lengthy and I want to be able to have some organization here so lets go over the decor that I'm planning to implement for the evening..

3 Dragon Eggs
Dragon Egg Bowls
Menus
Wooden Curtain of Sigils
Lanterns... the lanterns... oh my goodness, the lanterns...
House sigils for every attending family
The Kazoo of Winter
Westerosi Hangover Cures
Ent door knocker
Westeros Map
Placemats
Maesters Apothecary Set
Doggie bags
Door hanging sign
metal serving dishes
brass cups
Dungeon keys for sky cells and red keep dungeon
Kitchen Wench costume


Now you can see why I've been preparing for this thing since November?  Maybe I bit off more than I can chew here...

Sending home with the guests:
House sigil for every attending family
LEFTOVERS!  (YAY!)
a Kazoo of Winter
a jar of Mustard
a jar of Pentoshi stuffed dates
a placemat
a loaf of bread and salt
a bottle of mead
a bottle of GoT beer
Westerosi Hangover Cures (They're going to need these!)
a vile of pink salt
Their menus
(Sent later!) a small photo album of our amazing evening.

Well.... Now that I see it all in black and white, I'm a bit overwhelmed... Yes... might feel a small panic attack coming on here but.... after taking a few seconds to breathe... most of this stuff is already done!

Want to see what I did and how I did it?  Well, I'm going to share it with you.  This is your one-stop Game of Thrones ideas central here from my brain to my fingers to your house, lets make this the most anticipated season yet and throw one hell of a party complete with food, games, and even possibly some unexpected surprises....  Valar Morghulis!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment